--- Stephen Thorne <stephen.thorne at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/06, Trent Piepho <xyzzy at speakeasy.org>
> wrote:
> > p_mapchars isn't a string, it's just two
> characters with no null termination.
> > You can't print it with %s.
>
> You can't? A quick grep in the source shows 58
> occurances of printing
> p_mapchars with %s.

Hehehe.

It's not that you can't, It's more of a you shouldn't.

the gcc compiler is smart enough to figure it out. But
if we tried a different c compiler (which may
implement char mapchar[2] differently), it may not.

If anyone's used the Borland-C compiler. You'd know
what I'd mean. You can mix-up references, pointers and
references to pointers, and the darned code would
still work! It's like black magic. Try the same code
with gcc, and it would instantly SIGSEV.

I guess there goes Trent's illusion that Hadley's code
was divine and saintly :-P.

Jimmy