Zach wrote:
> distress messages (fuel, damage, shields, armies carried status) would
> take longer to convey unless you sacrificed some information.
> Perhaps we could do an experiment and have a few clue games where
> everyone used voice then poll the players afterwards to gauage their
> impressions?

I think you've fallen into the other poster's trap that suggests voice
replaces text. I haven't read a single person here who claimed that text
was unnecessary. This thread has a lot of straw men erected. :-) I
believe any referenceable information should be in text, whereas any
event-based information should be in voice.

It's also a trap to compare newbie voice communicators with clued text
communicators. It's illogical to compare the two. You are proving that
clued > newbie, and believing that this therefore means that text > voice.

I have a problem with the social behavior of many "clued" Netrek
players. Of the last 5 to 10 games I have played in the last 5 years, I
have each time decided not to play for months after seeing other people
harassed, and being harassed myself, by people who thrill from calling
themselves clued and acting like they own the place. If people don't do
exactly as expected, they find themselves at the end of a barbed attack,
even from team mates. I don't play, because I find it a hostile
environment. Usually I am attacked for defending newbies - usually
called a newbie myself. Not that I care too much, but it means I don't
come back for 12 months. In the other poster's comments, I saw him doing
the exact same thing in this thread. I defend the newbie for having too
large of a learning curve. He tells me that text messaging is a skill
that must be learned. I challenge him. He tells me he thinks I have no
experience, with the presumed conclusion that I should not have a say in
this debate (all his own assumptions based on ignorance). How is a real
newbie ever going to feel welcome in this environment?

The reason I bring this up, is that voice isn't going to resurrect
Netrek if the attitude towards newbies doesn't change. Nobody is
desperate enough to want to play a game like Netrek, that they will put
up with this attitude. There are many other games out there, that are
far more rewarding, with nicer human interfaces (and less arcane
learning curve / entry requirements), and friendly people.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark at mielke.cc>