--- Ry4an Brase <ry4an at ry4an.org> wrote:
> I've got an old Sony vaio 505g, that I like very
> much, and it's quite
> linux friendly.  However, twice now since since
> getting it a month ago,
> I've un-suspended only to find the partition table
> on hda completely
> gone.
Ry4an,
Yo! I know beans about a Sony VAIO but...
I will bet dollars to donuts that (1) your hard disk
is good... it is not dead. Neither is the previous
one...
(2) you need to find out what the exact geometry of
your HD is... check the documentation that came with
it, or the lable on the HD.
Now, with that said, check in your setup settings...
see if you can switch the auto settings in your
PNP(plug and play) to 'legacy'(pg up and pg dn switch
'auto' to 'legacy' choices) your instructions on how
to manipulate the settings are on the bottom of the
screen...
In CMOS settings set your primary master to AUTO and
AUTO (first slot setting and last) should be a bunch
of dashes or dots in between... same for CD (Secondary
Master)... now this is just an attempt at a quick
solution... that will not harm anything. Remember 100%
of what is done here can be undone by changing the
settings. And these settings may not be there... But
thought I would at least attempt to help you. :) and
remember... don't give up... it is just a stupid
machine!!! built by people like you and me...
Caio!