On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 09:11:23PM -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:
> I use Gnome/Enlightenment at home so I can show off the
> blinky-whoop-de-sh*t to non-linux users, but I like fvwm2.  twm was
> starting to grow on me also.

go fvwm2!

I've started playing with the xfce environment lately (and its WM, xfwm);
and I must say I like it. it has a CDE-like panel, and a very Windows-ish
feel in the buttons and keybindings (which isn't entirely a bad thing, tho
not my personal choice).

I use fvwm2 because:
a. it's lightweight. on my P166/48M box, E was thrashing terribly, but fvwm2
causes no such problems.
b. it's reliable. yeah, there's a bug or two in it; but unlike GNOME/E (at
least for me) it doesn't crash on a regular basis.
c. I like the way I can customize the buttons and keybindings. I'm sure I
could do that to some other WMs as well, and possibly more easily; but I've
got it set up to where I like it, and I see no reason to change now that
everything works for me. :)
d. I like being perverse at times. :)

I really like some of the things that other WMs have (shapeable window
borders, theme engines, and nifty dock apps); but I don't miss them emough
to want to change right now. :)

Window managers are some of the most personal choices that anyone does to
their system; and one of the huge advantages of X over MS Windows. Many
people also see the variety as a downfall of Linux, because it's hard for
newbies to choose the right one for them, and it's virtually impossible to
do idiot-level support for all the window managers out there (things like
'move your cursor down to the Start button...').
Some would say that in order to 'win the desktop war', we have to
standardize on one WM/environment. Personally, I think that if that's what
must be done, I don't want to 'win' the war. Help people come up to our level
if they will; rather than drag us all down to their level and use one
manager/environment that's "Good Enough" for most of us.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises