On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> > Has anyone put the coda filesystem through its paces? It sure looks cool. I
> > especially like the disconnected mode. It would be great for laptops. You
> > can read more at http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/
>
> it does look interesting, but they do warn that it's not fit for production
> use. it's more of an academic test-bed than anything else.

The impression I got was that they don't recommend it for 100s of
clients. It sounds like the folks working on it use it extensively. The idea
of caching documents on a laptop for use in disconnected mode and then
having changes automatically reintegrated when the laptop is reconnected is
really cool. And the performance can't be any worse than NFS. :-)

I think I'll give it a whirl after I burn myself some potato CDs at the
installfest.

> Intermezzo supposedly is a lot leaner (and maybe safer) than coda. dunno
> exactly what the status of it is, tho.

The intermezzo home is at http://inter-mezzo.org/ I'll check it out.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/