On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:49:11PM -0500, Bob Tanner (tanner at real-time.com) wrote:
> Since I have never really used NT for anything, I am not sure I totally
> understand the licensing agreements.
>
> I am writing a paper comparing linux to nt from a cost prospective (money).
>
> Now, I see you can get NT 5-user for around $1000 list. Attempting to read the
> EULA confuses the hell out of me, so I am going to ask the list.
>
> If you use NT as the operating system for a web site, can you run your web site
> on just a 5-user license? Even if you take (cough) millions of hits a day on
> this box?

AFAIK, NT license does not matter for websites. NT license is for
users logging in to the box (file/print, etc).  However, if you have
a SQLServer db, there's a $2500 thingy you're supposed to buy since you
can have a ton of connections (users) to your database.  This is how it
was a few years ago, anyway.  Don't know about Access.

<snip>

--
Amy Tanner                                      Voice: 612.943.8700
Real Time Enterprises, Inc.	                  Fax: 612.943.8500