You shouldn't have to put the search domain in the resolv.conf, it just
tells your local machine what domain to append to hostnames if you just
specify a hostname and not a FQDN.

nslookup isn't getting a response from the nameservers, so first see if
you're firewalling off DNS (port 53 UDP/TCP I believe).  If you don't
think it's being firewalled try a different nameserver.  128.101.101.101
is U of M, 209.98.98.98 is VISI.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications