On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:34:30AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> One problem with that theory:  While the 486 can have an arbitrarily
> large number of rules, the 675 (if I read its manual correctly) can
> only store 10 rules, each of which is only effective in one
> direction.
.  .  . [ snip ] . . .
> If I'm wrong, and the 675 can store a larger number of rules, I
> would be very happy to be corrected, as I also have a Lesser Box
> which could be used for other things...

Excerpt from CBOS User Guide [1]

	The set filter command is used to specify IP filtering
	conventions.  The Cisco 67x has 10 filters that can be applied
	to TCP and UDP packets passing through the router's
	interfaces. Enabled filters are applied to packets in
	sequential order according to filter number.

*sigh*  Well, there goes that theory.  By the way, I did find some
expect scripts from an old archive ('93) to manage Cisco routers.  I
haven't looked too deeply into these yet, but at least it's a jumping
point for some very basic configuration.  However, like other people
have pointed out, the Cisco routers have the web interface to use.

Oh well.  Strike the proposal from the ballot. ;-)  I'll just leave my
firewall as-is, then ;-).

--- REFS ---
[1] http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/dsl_prod/c600s/cbos/cbosug/03chap02.htm#xtocid1181511

--