> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:20:46 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Peter Clark <pc451 at yahoo.com>
> To: Twin Cities Lug <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
> Subject: [TCLUG] Buying stuff...
>
>    I am in the process of slowly putting together my owm box. Right
> now, I am waiting for my tax returns :) so that I have some spending
> $$$ to build the box I've always wanted. But in the meantime, I would
> like to ask a few questions.
>    1. What would you recommend for a motherboard? I want to get an
> Athlon 1000, so that narrows down things fast. Furthermore, I recall
> hearing something last week about a bug with Abit? motherboards. OR was
> it just the VIA chipset? I don't know, but I would like to avoid this
> if possible.
http://anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1457
I would suggest you check out the new Asus CUV266. This is the first
DDR/370 offering from Asus. In my humble opinion DDR is the way to go if
you are building a new system. If you want the tbird chip <with all its
quirkyness> then get the KT266, I am pretty sure this one uses the
Apollo Pro 266 chipset. Make sure and check the bios of "any
" board you buy. They usually ship with older nvram than is currently
available. Check the MB website. As far as overclocking goes Asus not
Abit is the better choice. Abit has consistantly shown that there boards
are less stable especially at higher I/O voltage. If you want to buy a
44bx chipset than definetly get the Abit BE6-II. Otherwise I would say
go Asus or maybe Gigabyte. Whatever you do, go DDR! And stop considering
a pentium4 it was even in the back of your mind. That chip will be a
huge waste of money until at least the last quarter of this year.
>    2. Same question regarding video cards. I don't need top of the
> line...32 MB mem is fine. I'm not looking for 300 FPS in Quake 3,
> either. I just want a card that is easily detectable under Linux,
> commonly available, and won't cause grief because of buggy drivers.
get an SIS6360 8mg card $35 >>you've got more important things to do
than play games
>    3. Any spots for buying keyboards and mice? Other than Best Buy and
> CompUSA? I've gone over their inventory and haven't found much that I
> like. A keyboard/mouse warehouse would be nice. :)
Only shop for sales and specials at big corp stores. General Nano and
Tran Micro and Que as a last resort. There is also a place nobody uses
call Computer Orphanage on Lake and 4th Ave. They always have a deal or
two <mainly orphaned stuff...duh>.$9bucks or less I usually pay for
scroll mice. The other day I saw intellimice for $25 at BB.
>    4. Where can I get some cool computer badges? (Those are the little
> 1x1 plastic-covered stickers that go on the front of a computer.) I
> googled and found a couple of companies, but most are either overseas
> or only sell in bulk. A badge with Tux would be a step in the right
> direction, I think.
Just DIY
>    5. Oh, yes, my price range for the system is going to be $800-$900,
> excluding monitor. (I'll deal with that later--for now, I've got an
> older one that will do.)
I know I guy that has been repairing monitors for 30 years. He always
hooks me up with great deals on big monitors. I just bought a couple
months ago a RasterOps 20" for $200. Usually has 17" for under a buck.
Be careful if you buy online, especially chips and ram <they won't RMA
these>

-Spencer Underground