Simeon Johnston <simeonuj at eetc.com> wrote:

> Mike Hicks wrote:
>
> > I've been pondering this myself, since I have a VIA chipset that has
> > been showing problems as well.  I have the VIA 82c586b chipset for my
> > K6-2 system, a predecessor to the current 686b chipset that has been
> > causing so much trouble with Athlon boards, and I spent the last day
> > getting my system re-installed due to filesystem corruption.  Just a
> > few notes about that:
>
> What is the name of the chipset?  MVP3, MVP4?  I have a MVP4 w/ a K6-2
> 450 without any problems with linux.  Had some major problems with some
> other computers running identical MB's and chips but that was with
> windows, not linux and only on the installation.  After it was installed
> it worked great.

It's MVP3.  Yet another name...

I've heard pretty much the same thing -- some people have no problem with
one board, but another (that should be identical or nearly so) has severe
issues.  My brother has a similar board to mine, and he hasn't had any
problems that I'm aware of.

There may be some hardware compatibility issues.  I've heard rumblings
that SB Live!s might be bad components for boards with VIA chipsets, but
I'd be reluctant to blame a sound card..  Also, some people have suggested
that AGP video cards might exacerbate the problems.

> Runs 2.4 great.  Compiles in about 15 minutes.
> Not sure about the exact model # right now as it is at home.  It is an
> Amptron ( www.amptron.com ) all in one deal though.  Not bad for it's
> time. There site is really nice now.  Has drivers for Win9x/ME/NT/2K and
> Linux.  Bios upgrades and everything.  Not bad now but really sucked
> when I first got the board.

My board is an FIC VA-503+.  I had to upgrade the BIOS a while back in
order to get my UDMA66-capable hard drive recognized, though the board can
only do UDMA33.

I suppose someone should really set up a database somewhere for people who
have had problems, so the similarities can be correlated...

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Don't buy furs, it takes
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   trees to make protest