"Miller, John" <JMiller2 at dainrauscher.com> wrote:

> ok the question is how do I make the physical layer happy.  Could the
> nic be shot?  I feel that everything is ok.  I can plug in the other
> card (eth1) and the light on the modem light comes on.  Plug in eth0 and
> the light goes out.   Same senario for the hub.

It's possible the card died.  After a nearby lightning strike a few months
ago, we had a card that seemed to work just fine except that it couldn't
communicate with the hub (the transciever must have gotten knocked out).

If, as Bill said, your card is having negotiation problems, you might try
to hunt down some diagnostic tools.  I know Donald Becker wrote some tools
for 3Com cards (mii-diag.c, vortex-diag.c -- Highly recommended).  I was
using them to shame our network admin at work into finally bringing one of
our server ports up to 100Mbit ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   God speed, fair wizard.