On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:22:44 -0500 (CDT)
"Brian" <lxy at cloudnet.com> wrote:

 Somehow in this process he's getting pops in
> the audio.  This makes no sense since it's all digital.  Every CD I've
> tried burning in this thing does it.

This is a Windows question, but the answer is cross-platform, so I'll give
it.

The short answer is that Adaptec EZ-CD Creator (aka Sleazy CD Creature) is
a piece of junk. The long answer involves the way in which digital audio
is stored on a CD-ROM. Yes it is 'all digital' but CDDA data, unlike
regular data, has no reference or checksumming infomation. It is stored in
a raw streaming format, so that when the drive reads a block of data from
the CD, the drive cannot know with assurance that it read exactly what was
supposed to be there. If a drive has a large amount of jitter or errors,
the result can be pops and ticks on the copy. Hey, what am I saying? You
should really be listening to vinyl LPs anyway ;)

For full infomation on the problem / solution, go to this URL:
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/ and read the FAQs and documentation. For
*nix users, CDDA Paranoia pretty much solves this issue.

In the meantime, tell dad to pitch EZ-CD Creator, and download Nero
Burning ROM; a _real_ CD burning software, that should fix this issue:
http://www.ahead.de You can demo it for free, which is worth your time. Be
sure to uninstall EZ-CD creator FIRST, and reboot the machine before
installing Nero.

(Oh by the way, did you try burining onto a different brand of media, or
burning at a slower speed? :)

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-