> I'm not sure how helpful this line of thought actually is. Yes, you can do
> most of these things in Linux, but for the most part, you can do them more
> easily and with better support and integration under Windows. If we are
> trying to tell Windows users "Look, you can do almost everything you want,
> almost as well as in Windows" I don't think that we will be winning too
> many new converts. Until Microsoft is forced from their monopolistic
> fortress, we as Linux users will still be using b-grade knockoffs of
> popular daily-driver Windows softwares. That is harsh, but it's reality.

Bill, I agree with the above statement, however as a Linux newbie, I had
little prior knowledge of the command line before installing my first distro.
 Windows is easier to use for the average desktop user.  However, Linux is
closing the gap and may someday eclipse Windows.  As a new user I wanted to
"get on board" before Linux became popular on the desktop.  I have since
learned the basics of the command line.  Yes there are still a few things I
cannot accomplish without Windows but IMO, now is a great time to learn about
Linux, command line or not.  Many Windows users are simply unaware the
command line is still a minimal requirement in Linux.  It is a very powerful
tool.  But a GUI is easier and I would venture to say KDE is leading the
race.  I think any interested Windows users would gladly learn about an
alternative OS such as Linux.  My primary reason to use Linux was cost; I was
tired of paying too much for software apps and OS upgrades.  I still pay for
my Linux distros, but at a more reasonable rate.  So there are incentives,
even though limitations exist with the "Linux desktop".

I would certainly be willing to give Windows users the chance to at least see
Linux in action.  Whether I convert users or not, it would at least increase
thier awareness of the Linux OS.