Peter,

Thanks for your corrections, you're absolutely right.  I went back to "Open
Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution" to try and figure out how I
had gotten this part so backwards and rediscovered a few interesting things.
It's strange how things get twisted in you head over time, has anyone ever
seen that Kids In The Hall sketch "Don't Put Salt In Your Eye", its
completely related to that phenomena.

Anyway, here are the sources of my bogus "facts" about licenses.  There is a
fair amount of irony in my mistakes which I think is interesting enough to
share.

Bogus fact 1: GPL is not Open Source:

My confusion comes from reading Bruce Perens' annotated analysis of the Open
Source Definition in his chapter in "Open Sources".  His annotation is of
course mixed in with the actual definition, his comments are in italics, the
definition itself is in regular face.	In his annotations and the license
analysis sections afterward cleary show his preference for BSD style
licenses.  Any mention of GPL terms comes with his explanation of why it is
a disadvantage.  As he and Eric created the Open Source Definition because
they didn't agree with a few specific aspects of the GPL, it's
understandable why his chapter reads more persuasively than purely
informational.

The Ironic part:

Right there in section 10 of the Open Source Definition, it lists GNU GPL as
the very first example license.  Further more, if you read the Open Source
Definition without Bruce's own commentary, it has a completely different
tone.

Bogus fact 2: Richard Stallman and Eric Raymond don't get along.

This turned out to be a very interesting part of open source folklore, but
one that isn't entirely without grounds.  In Richard's chapter in "Open
Sources", he of course promotes the free software ideal and license.  Any
time he refers to Open Source, he puts it in quotes as if to say so-called,
or not-quite, or blatantly question it's legitimacy.  He even has this to
say about "Open Source",

   Teaching new users about freedom became more difficult in 1998, when
   part of the community decided to stop using the term free software
   and say "open-source software" instead.

   Some who favored this term aimed to avoid the confusion of "free"
   with "gratis"--a valid goal. Others, however, aimed to set aside the
   spirit of principle that had motivated the free software movement
   and the GNU project, and to appeal instead to executives and business
   users, many of whom hold and ideology that places profit above freedom,
   above community, above principle.  Thus, the rhetoric of "Open Source"
   focuses on the potential to make high quality, powerful software, but
   shuns the ideas of freedom, community, and principle.

		--Richard Stallman, Open Sources, O'Reilly 1999, p. 69

Come on Richard, tell us what you really feel ;) I'm quite sure he and Eric
could get together for lunch and have a good time, but it's quite obvious
how Richard feels about the path his former free software disciple has
chosen.

Eric doesn't really give his side of the story in so many words, but Bruce
(Open Source co-founder) addresses the issue directly.  When Bruce describes
how the Open Source Initiative, Definition, and the Open Source service mark
was born, he does so in a much different tone than Richard.

  Richard Stallman later took exception to the campaign's lack of an
  emphasis in freedom, and the fact that as Open Source became more
  popular, his role in the genesis of free software, and that of his Free
  Software Foundation, were being ignored--he complained of being "written
  out of history." This situation was made worse by a tendency for people
  in the industry to compare Raymond and Stallman as if they were
  components of competing philosophies rather than people who were using
  different methods to market the same concept.  I probably exacerbated
  the situation by pitting Stallman and Raymond against each other in
  debates at Linux Expo and Open Source Expo. It became so popular to
  type-cast the two as adversaries that an email debate, never intended for
  publication, appeared [in] the online journal Salon. At that point, I
  asked Raymond to tone down a dialog that it had never been his intent to
  enter.

		--Bruce Perens, Open Sources, O'Reilly 1999, p. 174

The most interesting part of Bruce's statement is that he explains part of
the reason for the Stallman vs Raymond mindset, is due to "people in the
industry" viewing them both as competing philosophies.  This is quite ironic
as Richard Stallman's own words, in the very same book, promote that exact
idea.  I do not think that Eric or Bruce would describe the Open Source
Initiative as a group that "shuns the ideas of freedom, community, and
principle."

I just can't help but imagine their relationship as anything more than a
mutual toleration.  Perhaps one side is more willing to burry the hatchet
than the other.

-David