You'll be _really_ lucky to get Linux in a useable state with only 4 MB of
RAM and on a 60 MB harddrive.  Older version of Slackware (<= 3.4, maybe),
_might_ fit, but the install will be a bitch.  The problem with going with
an old version is that laptop support will suck.

You're right, the real solution is upgrade your laptop.  Unfortunately, I'd
say it's most likely your only solution.

But.. I've been called a pessimist.

Good luck.

Gabe