On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Michael Hicks wrote:

> > Or, if you're bored, have some shell programming skills, and know how to
> > use `which', `ldd', and `strip', you can roll your own (`man init' would
> > be the place to start).  Of course, considering that you only have 4MB
> > of RAM, you might want to ditch bash as a shell and go with something a
> > little smaller.

To which Kevin replied:

> If you're going to do it this way, I would highly recommend looking at
> busybox (search for it on freshmeat). It provides over a hundred of the
> standard *nix utils (IIRC), including init and sh. It was originally
> written for the Debian installer, but obviously has more general
> applications.

Thanks for all the ideas!  I'm considering using DOS but after playing
with Debian last night I think I can make it fit.  I've got Slink 2.1,
running kernel 2.0.38 or something really old.  There's a low memory
bootdisk image for systems with 2 MB RAM, I might try that tonight.  I'm
also considering "rolling my own".  I guess I'll just try some of this
stuff and see what works best.

While I want this laptop to be functional, I also want to have fun getting
it that way.  Installing DOS is something I do every day at work, it's
time for a new challenge.

-Brian