I read a review a while back on Tom's Hardware comparing the Maxtor 80 to a variety
of other drives, and the Maxtor 80 frequently tied or beat drives with faster rpm's.

I seem to remember it had to do that the track density minimizing head usage and
head movement.

I doubt this would apply when comparing a 75GB to an 80GB though...