My friend used to work for a used computer place, and he would bring home
all of the bad hard drives that they normally threw out, and then we would
just send them back to the vendor to get them replaced.  We never had any
trouble getting new drives or having the bad drive repaired.  Just about
every drive manufacturer too, IBM, Quantum, Fujitsu, Samsung, Maxtor...
Never did any of the manufacturers question us, they just sent us new
drives, and we probably did it with 50 or 60 drives (which then would
promptly hit Ebay :)

Jay