Well, since my system has been working perfectly for far too long, I needed
to break something, so I decided to install XFree86 4.02.

I did the source compile thing (make World, make install).  did the Xfree86 -configure,
pasted in some modelines from my old XF86Config file, exited my X-session and started
things up, and *poof*, I was running 4.02.   I ran problem free till last night when
I tried Heavy Gear II, which just died.

After massive searches through the net with minimal results, I ran across a directive to put
in my XFree86 hosts.def file that stated I have glide.  I remade 4.02 and then heavy gear
would run, but terminally slowly (It takes forever to come up, and then every motion on
the screen takes several seconds to render).

Running glxinfo says that I have a gl system, although it reports rendering as 'indirect'
which seems wrong.

Does anybody have a working XFree86 4.xx with a Voodoo 3 (or Banshee?) and GL?

Anybody know of any definitive links? Any advice????

Thanks,
Kent