Know, I now Randsom is not 100% open source lover, so I figured Cosmos, now
Volution would be commercial. The beta was cool. The concept is even cooler.

http://www.caldera.com/products/volution/

But, the cost is nasty. Real Time has a "small" network, around 100 linux
machines (estimate from Netsaint for hosts).

$2,995.00 for 10-node license
$2,419.95 for 20-node license
$2,419.95 for 20-node license
$2,419.95 for 20-node license
$2,419.95 for 20-node license
$2,419.95 for 20-node license
-----------------------------
$15,094.75 for 110 node licenses

Using their Break Even calculator I get this:

Volution License Costs
   Price of server 		$2,995.00
   Server price includes 	10 nodes
   Price per node 		$145.00

   One-Time cost of Volution
   Cost of Volution server licenses 	$269550
   Cost of Volution nodes 		$0
   Total cost of Volution 		$269550
   Time to break even 			276.46 year(s)

It it's going to take 276 years to break even, what's the point!?

Must be a bug.

Anyone else wanna try out the "savings" of using Volution?

http://www.calderasystems.com/products/volution/breakeven/
--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500