Liz Burke-Scovill wrote:

> Hi all - I've recently run into several conversation in various arenas
> about accessibility features for linux (ie., not just what's available in
> standard distros, but also ones that really need to be worked on) - has
> anyone dealth much with accessibility issues (ie., accessibility with
> regards to the blind, etc.). This is something that I'm going to start
> actively research as well, but wanted to pick the brains of those here at
> the same time.
>
> Thanks,
> Liz Burke-Scovill

Here are some collected URLs on speech recognition and Linux for the blind.
These have been in my files for a while, and I make no guarantee that they
still point to anything. The embedded comments are from other people's
forwarding emails:

====================**

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/blinux/festival/cstr.mirror/Linux-1.4.0/suse/festival-1.4.0-1.i386.html

Here's one for BLINUX, linux for the blind
http://leb.net/blinux/

Here's a link to information about Linux Access
http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/linux-access/
linux-access is a mailing list created to help users and developers of the
Linux OS and related software make Linux more accessable to people with
disablilities.
And here's a companion page with a slide presentation of information on
how Linux can be used to assist people with disabilities.
http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/linux-access/slides/linux-access.001.html
and here's a page on the same site, with links to other resources
http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/linux-access/slides/linux-access.010.html

Here's a list of archive for blind users on rufus
http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/blinux/RootTree.html
Noticed festival is there.

Here's some information on project involving accessibility and Linux/Unix
http://trace.wisc.edu/world/computer_access/unix/unixshar.html

I couldn't get one of the links to work, the one at U. of  Wisconsin. This
one
works for me.

http://proxy-mail.mailcity.lycos.com/bin/redirector.cgi?http://trace.wisc.edu/world/computer_access/unix/unixshar.html

IBM ViaVoice Dictation for Linux Lets You
Talk to Your Computer to Create Documents

 http://ibm.com/software/speech/linux/dictation.html

HTH,

Lan Barnes                 lanbarnes at earthlink.net
Icon Consulting, Inc       858-273-6677
Key fingerprint = 57D6 C219 140A A81E 26C6  8138 0E62 7F4A 2659 7389

What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will
to find out, which is the exact opposite.
                           - Bertrand Russell