Can anyone help me out here?

I've got a box that I recompiled the 2.2.18pre21 kernel for firewall
options.  Now that I've done this, it can't find my network card
anymore.  I figured that I needed to somehow recompile the module and
get it into the right library.  I can't use the pre21compact version
(it doesn't like the cross-version thing).

I've been trying to do use the make-kpkg process that's outlined for
building new kernels, and I'm wrestling with getting the modules
built.  I've read the man pages for all the stuff (including the
README files lying around), and what I've done still does not work.
I've fixed a type on the sample.rules.module file, and typed in some
value for TOPDIR in the net subdirectory Makefile, not knowing if
either thing was the correct option.  I also symlinked the source
directories from the kernel-specific directory to the /usr/src/modules
directory and created debian/rules files for the net subdirectory.

So, my questions are:
   Did I really need to recompile the kernel to get firewalling?
   If so, how do I go about getting a custom version of ne.o built for
this kernel?
   Anybody know where I can get good instructions on how to do this?
   Does anyone have a quick snippet of the debian/rules file that
shows how I get
       the module built (I think that's where my problem is).

Sorry if I seem a little edgy, I've been at this for about a week in
my spare time, and my office wants the firewall installed this
weekend.

Thanks for any assistance.  Let me know if more info is needed.
--
   Dave Kleist
   dkleist at acm.org
   "The covers of this book are too far apart."
              - Ambrose Bierce