I don't mind a learning curve, but unnecessary complexity should be
avoided. After downloading Ximian Gnome there were missing dependencies
and altered start scripts all over the directory map. This was supposed
to be an automatic install.

It took me most of a day to find and repair the problems so I could get a
useful X back. /etc/rc.config, and /sbin/init.d are not obvious places to
look. Sure, you're a genius, but normal people want Linux computers, too.

I've played with Unix-like OSs since the PDP-11 in the late 70s. The best
OS I used was for an Epson QX10 personal computer I got in 1982. The OS
was called "Valdocs" and it ran from floppies. It was a lot like
"Midnight Commander," buttons and all, and allowed descriptive naming.
Drivers were easy and fun to write and assemble. Then the IBM PC and DOS
took over and and made everybody a "USER". Linux uses a 1970s file naming
system but the amount of software has exploded. I'm glad others are
trying to update this.

On 6/29/01, 9:48:18 AM, Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com> wrote
regarding Re [TCLUG] Linux directory naming system at 4.sdm: