> As for Linux distributions, the only one that you do not want is
> Mandrake, which is acceptable only for desktop systems on private or
> heavily firewalled networks, imo.

Why is this?  I have about 5 servers running Mandrake, and I haven't had any
problems with them (except for a stupid logrotate error in 7.1).  One of the
boxes is a Mandrake 6.2 box with a current uptime of 468 days 5 hours and 8
minutes.  I also had 6 more up until last week which were serving out a
couple hundred simultaneous connections of Real Video content.

I keep all of my stuff behind a firewall, but you bet your ass I still turn
off any services I don't need and I stay up on security updates.  A mandrake
box is no more insecure than any other distro, you just have to make sure
you don't run lots of unneeded crap.  Mandrakes Apache/Advanced Extranet/SGI
webserver is pretty sweet too.

The mandrake boxes have been just as trouble free as my Red Hat (I've had
more trouble with Red Hat than any other distro) and Debian boxes, and WAY
more reliable than my Solaris boxes (of course, with the Sun stuff, it's
always a hardware issue).  :)

Jay