On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Scott Dier wrote:

> * Timothy Wilson <wilson at visi.com> [010312 20:24]:
> > Compaq SMART2 Driver (v 1.0.6)
> > Found 1 controller(s)
> > cpqarray: Finding drives on ida0 (Integrated Array)
> > cpqarray ida/c0d0: blksz=512 nr_blks=35553120
> > cpqarray: Starting firmware's background processing
> >  ida/c0d0: ida/c0d0p1 ida/c0d0p2 < ida/c0d0p5 ida/c0d0p6 > ida/c0d0p3
> > autodetecting RAID arrays
> > autorun ...
> > ... autorun DONE.
>
> First, do what i did and read the bug against the installer, 90 days
> old.  I'm doubting it will be fixed because the push for a new install
> system is in full force. :|
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=78981&repeatmerged=yes

Thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll bet this will work, but I won't have time to
work on it until after school today. I used the Compaq system erase utility
to wipe the drives and get ready to install a fresh system. Now when I boot
the Debian floppy I only get the

> > cpqarray ida/c0d0: blksz=512 nr_blks=35553120

not

> > cpqarray: Starting firmware's background processing
> >  ida/c0d0: ida/c0d0p1 ida/c0d0p2 < ida/c0d0p5 ida/c0d0p6 > ida/c0d0p3

Presumably, this is because the system isn't yet partitioned. My plan,
then, would be to create the devices in /dev/ida manually anyway
assuming that they'll be needed later. Correct? (This is according to
the bug report cited.)

This leads me to another question. How should I partition this beast?
The server will mainly be doing listserv and http serving. I'll be using
Zope which I'll compile from source. The Debian Zope package puts it in
/var/lib, but I'll probably put it in /usr/local. The Zope files could
potentially grow pretty large. Several GBs would probably be a good
starting point. I may also put PostgreSQL on this machine someday. Debian
puts the html files in /var/www.

The system is a 933 MHz PIII w/ 640 MB RAM and two 18 GB SCSI disks in a
RAID1 configuration (straight mirroring).

Should I leave some of the disk unpartitioned?

What would the professional admins in the group recommend?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/