On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:39:14 -0600
Scott Dier <dieman+tclug at ringworld.org> wrote:

> * Jay J <jay-tclug at 3pound.com> [010328 03:33]:
> > My tip for new RR installs: If you kick the support tech out after they hand over the modem, be sure they've got your MAC address of the NIC you plan to connect to it. (oops .. :)
>
> TW/RR isn't as anal as M1/RR.  Here, anything I can connect to the cable
> modem (up to 5 devices) gets an IP.  A real IP no less :)

:-) WTF, without paying for the 5+ "blah, blah, home LAN" solution?

I've got a 3Com 2940CMX (2-way external), single RJ45. They claim to keep a database (which they lost once) of modem <-> MAC addresses. When I switched from 1-way to 2, I booted the tech and proceeded to hook it up - no go, I call - have a chat about MAC addresses, and voila.

It's their cable modem ... knowing the MAC doesn't seem any less private :)

-Jay J

p.s. "real IP" == static?