hehe.. actualy, intel sorta _does_ build the architecture.  it's an open
architecture, built on standards written by many companies.  it's almost
like the open source community, but the users don't have direct control
over the situation.  intel does package a whole version of the
architecture, in their branded motherboards/chassis.

I agree.. the x86 hardware needs a re-vamp.  and hopefully the 64bit
platforms will get most of that fixed.

I think what your dad is talking about, is the same ideals that MS is
pushing.  the type of "platforms" are controled by a single company, and
have backwards compatability quirks of their own.  to use alpha as an
example, I will pull my history with alpha out of the closet.  the oldest
alpha system I've worked on was the Jensen, or DecPC 150.
over the years, they have gone through a lot of changes, and each time,
they throw in a bunch of architectural changes that have been good, and
kludgy. (in my opinion)
no single system type is perfect, just like no OS is perfect

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)