Brady Hegberg wrote:

> My Redhat 7.1 machine seems to be having a prob with its SMC Ultra card.
> It worked fine with 6 but now...well the machine can ping itself but it
> can't ping the other machine on the network.  When I try I see the
> lights blink on the hub but nothing gets through...
>
> I see a bunch of these in "dmesg":
>
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x43, t=101.
>
> Any suggestions?  I spent hours searching the web for this error
> yesterday and I couldn't find anything that seemed to apply to me.

Hmmm, I wonder... Could there be an IRQ sharing problem in kernel 2.4?

I'm having problems getting a TV tuner card working in my machine. What
with 3 video cards, sound, ethernet, video capture and the onboard ACPI
and USB, (Wait, this may be it, why is ACPI enabled...) there's just not
enough IRQ's to go around. (Thats 8!) As long as I keep the capture card
off the IRQ of my primary AGP video card, everything works fine in
windows. However with the video capture card plugged in, linux freaks
out. I can boot into console mode, but as soon as X starts up, USB
freaks out and shuts off, and so does my ethernet with a similar
message. Leaving me without a mouse or a net connection.

Though that sounds more like X making things freak out when it
initialises the video cards now that I think of it. Wish there was a way
to make the BIOS assign IRQ's to the AGP card (It won't work unless you
do) but not to the PCI's (They don't need it).

Blargh. Managing PCI IRQ's is like hearding cats. Big cats. Like lions.
Yeah, thats it...