In writing the RAM meter driver, I can open the serial port and talk to
it.  It looks like there's like totally nothing to the driver.  The
question I have is that generally users don't have permission to open
/dev/ttyS0, so you either run the program as root (works) or code it to do
a setuid(0).  I think that's right, but I've never mucked with the uid
stuff much and never from a programming end.  Anyone got a better
suggestion than "just run it as root?"  (Maybe that's not a bad idea
anyway.)

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous