> What is the difference between running Xnest, enabling X forwarding
> through ssh, or using XDMCP?

Xnest will create a nested Xserver. It's a full fleged Xserver, except
that it is nested in your current session. It appears as a managed window,
so it's like using VNC. Basically, you'll have a desktop inside a window.

X forwarding with ssh (or forwarding using the DISPLAY enviorment
variable) will cause only the x clients (programs) to display. The clients
will be managed by your local window manage.

XDMCP is starting a new Xserver with the -query option. (Pretty much the
same as using Xnest, except it will be on a new VC.

Hopefully that clears things for you a bit...if not...I may have to break
out screen shots. :)

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|   His power apparently lies in his ability to  |
|           choose incompetent enemies.          |
|    - Crow T. Robot, MST3K, "Prince of Space"   |