I've just joined tclug in the hopes that someone can help me learn some
Linux.  I am quite knowledgeable about Windows & hardware, however, Linux
gives me fits.  I have run Mandrake 7.0 in the past, but it would no longer
cooperate when I moved to a newer computer.

I've just completed an installation of Mandrake 8.0.  The install went
great with all my hardware being detected properly (I even have
sound!).  Now for my first blunder...  I logged on as root and set up my
internet connection with KPPP.  I thought this would set up a connection
for all users.  What has happened is that now no user except root can log
into the system (or at least can't use the KDE or Gnome interfaces).  At
the "Welcome to Localhost" screen I must log on as root.  If I try any
other user & KDE I get this message...  error setting up inter-process
communications, message returned:  could not read network connection
list.  //.dcopserver_localhost.localdomain_:0  check that dcopserver is
running.  If I try to log onto Gnome it just shoots me back to the "welcome
to localhost screen"  with no error message.

I would appreciate any help, I really want to learn this system.  Carl