Marc Olivier wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm in over my head. I have Suse Linux 7.3 up and running on my system, but
> I can't make heads or tails of the documentation regarding setting up a
> network. I can tell that the network card is working by the light on my
> Ethernet hub, but that's all. I think I'm supposed to set up a static IP
> address, because I can't get DHCP to work. However, to get the IP address I
> need to do something with a Name Server. The documentation looks like
> something was written in machine code, and I have no idea what it means or
> what to do with it. Is this something that can be covered at a meeting?
>
> Marc

Not too over your head really.  I'm working on the same thing.  If you're not
running DHCP and DNS on your network, assign IP's staticly then put your system
names in the /etc/hosts files.  Have your gateway machine with the ppp
connection use the ips's dns.  You may also need to put the isp's dns entries
into the other machine's dns entries (/etc/resolv.conf on *nix) and if windows,
dns entries in the networking config there.

Check out www.linuxdocs.org and check out the ppp and networking how-to's for
some more info.