Basically, what happened was that Apple bought Next and then Next took
over Apple.  That is a very simplistic view of it, but it covers the
basics.  The Next executives moved in and took over several positions a
Apple.

OS:

Next (os and computer)  => Nextstep (just the OS) => Openstep (the OS
repackaged) => Mac OS X (the OS merged with the Mac operating system.)

Loren