On Sun, 11 November 2001, Marc Olivier wrote:

> Jack:
> Thanks for the info on CUPS, it works just like you said. I now have
> printer, modem and I think the network card. I now need to find a driver for
> the Sis onboard sound card. The driver included wth the OS doesn't work.
> Also, what is the best reading progression for getting the network up and
> running with a Windows networked machine (what I mean to say is, what should
> I read first)? Again, thanks, Jack, and to the rest of you who responded.
>
> Marc

First off, your very welcome. I'm glad that things are working for you. As far as the sound driver, I'm not sure. I have a motherboard with SiS Video/Sound but last year opted for a new video card and sound card. That said the only driver I ever found that worked with the onboard was the version of OSS that SuSE used to provide. As of 7.0 I don't think its included. Check the "pay" group under YaST's software loading.

As far as networking with a Windows network, start with any How-To's on Samba. If you prefer a book on the subject there are several. The only one I own is an older one by John Blair. I'm sure others will have opinions on this as well. ;-)

Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com