I have been doing some independant consulting for several years now.
Luckily I have had the luxury of being able to work with a
well-established friend of mine.

Ultimately you need to remember that you need to provide what your
client wants.  If you don't provide service or support for your client
they will find someone else who will.

Before I answer some of your questions in detail, I'd recommend you pick
up a copy of "The Computer Consultant's Guide" by Janet Rulh.  It does a
good job of giving all sorts of suggestions on a broad range of topics
that you might encounter.

On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 16:16, duncan wrote:
> **What sort of response time can i give my clients if they are having
> network problems, or any problem for that matter.  Do i set thier
> expectations that ill call with in 2 hrs, and go from there? Maybe show
> up within 24 hrs (presuming metro area clients)
Each client will probably have different needs.  You need to talk to
your customers and determine what they need.  If they need immediate
service, you need to make sure they know they will have to pay for that
kind of response.

> **I need to think about my availablity as a consultant.
> 1. what hours a day am i avail.
> 2. whats my weekend work policy?
> 3. Evening policy?
> 4. What do i do for vacation
Again, all this will depend on the client.  If they have a mission
critical system that you are maintaining and they want 24x7 support, you
need to provide that, but they also need to be willing to pay extra for
that kind of support.

> 5. What if im sick.
I left this one seperate as often there's nothing you can do about
illness.  If it's a once-in-a-while illness like the flu that just takes
you out, they will likely understand.  That said, if they are expecting
24x7 support, you have a problem!

> If i advise someone on what hardware / software to buy, how much
> responsibility do i assuem when it doesnt work, or has problems?  prob.
> quite a bit.

If you don't take responsibility for it, it's your reputation on the
line.

> What sort of equipment do i need?
> laptop
> cell phone
Yes.

> desk somewhere, with office supplies
If you feel the need to work at a desk, then yes.  I usually have what I
need in my laptop case.  If I need a table, Caribou is right around the
corner!

> computer 'toolkit' [crimper, cat 5 clips, screwdrivers...]
Absolutely.

> What are other consultant/tech support places around the TC area
> charging per hour...
This is really subjective.  Every project is different.  Different
clients have different needs.

Dave Royer

--
David Royer <dave at droyer.org>