On Nov 24 at 10:24PM Marc A. Ohmann wrote:

[...]

> While everyone on slashdot is complaining about bugs in stable
> releases, I see these oversights as linux and the bazaar's greates
> moments.  Within 1 hour of the first report of inode problems, a
> patch is released to lklm -- only 13 hours after the official
> release.  Within 24 hours of the first patch there is a heated
> debate which resulted in more patches and a _fixed_ 16-pre1
> release.  All this on Marcelo's first day maintaining.

> Its incredible how much people complain about _free_ services.

That's all wonderful in an idealistic world, but the fact remains
that it is because of all of its merits that it's being used in
'mission critical' places. In those places it is often easier for
admins to keep up with the stable kernel rather than its changelog.
It just seems that these things shouldn't be happening in a *stable*
kernel series. Just my 2 cents. If anyone disagrees with this to a
point of flaming me, feel free to do so off the list.

timothy r. lupfer       tl at assimilated.org
Familiarity breeds contempt--and children.
                -- Mark Twain