Preformatted Zip disks come with their partition set as the 4th partition.
And yes, I have 2 SCSI hard drives and a SCSI MO drive, so my USB CF reader
goes to sdd.  I imagine it will become sde when my new SCSI hard drive
arrives.

Yes, you can repartition the Zip disks. But why would you want to when you'd
have to repartition evey Zip disk you buy? Easier just to reformat them and
be consistant with the partitioning.  Easier to move the media between
machines that way.

I think if you have no SCSI devices that usb-storage will take the first scsi
drive. (sda) But my laptop is in sleep mode so I can't check that. (and I
don't want to dig into the USB documentation. Let the person having the
troubles RTFM.) :)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little