> When loading Slack 8, I get the a point in the install and I receive an
> error.  IO/xx or something.  Typically I've gotten this when my
> partitions are too small.  Which I'm assuming is the case now.

	hmmm. I managed to install Slack 7.1 on a 486/25 with 100MB of /,
and 100MB /home. was a bit tight, but I managed to get a web server with
mysql, php, perl and python. (I did end up symlinking /var/lib to /home/lib,
because I was out of space on the / partition).

> So, here's the question:  With not running X, what are my partitions
> sizes supposed to be?  I have an older System book which is based off of
> RedHat, but that is for the old 2.2 kernel and RH 6.1 I think but the
> partitions seem to be too small now.
	well, given what you have, here's what I'd recommend:
(everyone will find some fault with this, so listen to them too)
/var -- 800MB -- this is so your squid cache has some space, if you set one of
them up.
/usr -- 800MB -- you don't really need all that; but if you're worried about
being out of space, that should be more than plenty. the other advantage of
making /usr a separate partition, is that you can mount it read-only after
you have everything installed, so it'll be less susceptible to corruption,
and harder for a cracker to install a rootkit/backdoor/trojan. if it's on a
separate drive, it may even be possible to jumper the drive to be physically
read-only (some old drives support this).
/ -- 200MB -- this is for /boot, /bin, /sbin, and /tmp (/tmp should always
be on the / partition, because it may be needed during the boot sequence).
you could also leave /home on this drive, if you don't ever plan on doing
anything with it.
swap -- the last 200MB drive. make your swap partition at least twice as big
as your RAM, for 2.4 kernels. how much memory do you have?

don't serve NFS from a firewall. it's not very secure.

it's entirely possible I'm missing something which will cause this
suggestion to be totally worthless. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer