I remember checking out from the CS dept a tty with an acoustic coupler at
110 baud (must have been about 1973/74).  We used to have to be careful when
we put it in the cradle, otherwise the background noise would confuse it.  I
was supposed to be programming in Fortran on the PDP-11, but I found it much
more fun to play Star Trek.  The tty weighed a lot, but the box of paper you
carried definitely kept the whole thing from being considered portable :)

One of my best friends built an Altair 8080, he even managed to get a free
upgrade to 4K (I think, maybe it was 2K) by writing a program that allowed
you to play battleship against the computer.  He had to be careful though,
his daughter liked to play with the paper tape that he punched all the
programs on :)