"Rodney G. Garayt" <garay002 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> Is there an emulator, such as Wine or Cygwin or whatever, that I can
> install on my pc without having to re-partition my drive?  I need to run
> some windows apps.   I have Mandrake-Linux 8.0 only - no dual boot
> obviously.   I believe it's correct that you have to have a 'Windows'
> partition to run Wine or Cygwin right?

Well, I may as well mention CodeWeavers' CrossOver programs, since I'm
fiddling with them today.  They have two variants at the moment, both
based on the Wine project.  CrossOver Office is geared toward easing the
installation of the Microsoft Office package and Lotus Notes.  CrossOver
Plugin is meant to allow Linux web browsers to handle file formats for
which there is no native Linux player (QuickTime, Windows Media,
Shockwave, etc.).

The Office package costs about $55, and the Plugin version is about $25
(that cost is for the downloadable version -- you can get it on CD for
about $10 more, and they also have a bundle of both).

I just purchased a copy of CrossOver Plugin, since I'm getting really
tired of seeing those pop-up windows that say "Say OK to download plugin
for <blah>", which always leads to a totally useless page..  (Note to
CodeWeavers folks -- good marketing opportunity, if you talk to Netscape
and add your product to their plug-in finder).  However, I'll note that
you can download the demo version, install some plugins, then either copy
or symlink ~/crossover/support/dotwine to ~/.wine, and use your computer's
native wine installation to run software better.