Is it possible to implement an ide raid solution providing 500 gig
storage capacity?
I am assuming ide would provide the lowest cost which is the principle
consideration.
however there is a desire for hot swappable drives which I thought would
require scsi.

NAS and SAN are probably not in the price range.

Performace is not really a principle issue and a software raid
implementation is probably
adequate.