> > > Try converting to Maildir format from mbox.
> >
> > Just don't do it on anything *I* run, I like my disk space, thankyouverymuch.
>
> Heh, yeah, it's probably a good idea to do that on a ReiserFS partition,
> which handles small files better.

actually, according to some benchmarks that I've seen, ReiserFS isn't that
much of a win for reading small files. it *does* seem to be really fast at
creating big filesystems; and may even be a winner at writing lots of little
files; but isn't necessarily better at reading them back, than most other
filesystems.

once the directory indexing stuff gets fully included into ext3; I think
there'll be even less of a difference.

YMMV; the only way to know is to try it. :)

In any case, Maildir will still be hideously slow to read, compared to mbox
(which can get pretty slow when you have 100MB mboxes like I do, and I'm
sure lots of other people do.)
for your ordinary pop3 user tho; they won't see a difference. (and we'll
definitely see an improvement on the server side, since file locking isn't
a bottleneck anymore.)

anyone have experience with SQL-database-backed mailservers? how do those
perform, compared to mbox/Maildir?

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator