On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Jim Streit wrote:

> Does anyone know how many virtual domains / web sites an apache server can
> run?  Most everything i've came across on the web says that as long as you
> have the CPU power and enough RAM, that you can keep adding as many
> virtual sites as you want, but what does that really mean? 4, 10, 40, 200,
> sites?

My guess would be that there's some limit where Apache finally pukes
because it just can't process a config file of that size.  If you
can't find an absolute value (well into the thousands, I'm sure), that
probably means no one is insane enough to try it.  Hmmm... maybe that's
what I'll do this weekend :-)

I've got something like 30 virtual hosts set up on my Cele 400 box with
128MB.  I was running around 20 on a 486 with 16, while response was slow
Apache didn't seem to mind too much.  It served as best it could, without
errors or dropped connections.

YMMV, of course.

-Brian