"Jim Streit" <jimstreit at northlans.com> writes:

> Does anyone know how many virtual domains / web sites an apache server can
> run?  Most everything i've came across on the web says that as long as you
> have the CPU power and enough RAM, that you can keep adding as many
> virtual sites as you want, but what does that really mean? 4, 10, 40, 200,
> sites?
>
> I understand most of limitations would be based on how heavy the traffic
> was, but saying that each site gets very minimal traffic.  Say like if I
> give each department of a company their own virtual server address.
> dept.business.com

I'm currently running 53 virtual hosts on a dual-processor Pentium Pro
(200MHz each).  Serving more than a gigabyte a day of web content.
(The number is a count of <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> sections in my
Apache config file).

With a load average mostly around .1 (and that's when I'm on running
emacs and reading mail like this).

So I'm nowhere near the limits of either Apache or my processors.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net