On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 04:06:59PM -0600, Dan Drake wrote:

> [<c044xxxx>] [<c884xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>] [<c044xxxx>]
>
> All 8-digit numbers; all of them that I could see starting with "c".
> They were scrolling at a rate of several per second, and I couldn't
> switch to another console or anything. I had to hit the reset button to
> reboot, and it's working fine now.

Well, hard to say.  You have a little tree:

		problem
		  /\
		 /  \
         hardware    software
                        /\
                       /  \
                   yours   someone else's

(No, I don't think you need pictures drawn -- I'm just incredibly
bored, with vague flu-like symptoms...)

I guess I'd start by reading some logs to see if you have any clues.
Given the nature of the output, I'm inclined to think you had a kernel
failure or hardware trouble.  Unplug it from the net and burn it in on
the GIMP Mersenne Prime search CPU test.  Go play with BIOS settings,
just because you can.  Use a hair dryer/heat gun to see if you can
make it barf under heat.  Or just shrug and move along...

Cheers,
Phil

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood