Well, about a year ago, I set up a similar system using qmail, and a QMQP
load balancing patch that I made which you can get at qmail.org.  However,
I've since switched to a cluster of postfix boxes behind a load balancing
unit.  Postfix gives me better performance, I can get better stats from it,
it's easier to configure and use, supports ESMTP pipelining (qmail doesn't),
has adaptive rate limiting based on how fast the remote server is responding
(it will ramp up or back off depending), and generally just makes my life a
whole lot easier.

I started testing on linux, but I've switched to freebsd because of linux's
FD_SET() limitation.  I was only able to run about 508 concurrent processes
before it would choke.  With BSD, I can easily get over 2000 concurrent
processes (you need to recompile the kernel with higher NMBCLUSTERS and
MAXUSERS and set some sysctl variables).  Though, if you have a fast
connection, you won't see more than about 700 concurrent processes

Right now, I have 5 boxes in the cluster, and the load balancer is set to
"least connections" for it's load balancing method.  The box which relays
mail into it opens 10 threads, so each mailserver gets 2 connections.  Make
sure you get fast disks, I just stripe my mail spool (not mission critical
mail).  qmail touches the disk about 3 times more than postfix will, so I
highly suggest using postfix, and turn on softupdates or async for your
spool (don't use async if you're worried about losing mail in the event of a
crash).

Now, if this is for a spammer, please forget all that I have just told you.
:)

Jay