On Saturday 26 January 2002 1:04 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 12:17:48AM -0600, Rodd Ahrenstorff wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 January 2002 9:42 am, you wrote:
> > > Can't speak for the others here, but Linux is on all my home
> > > desktops, and that's about all the growth I care about.
> >
> > Does this mean you do not want Linux to gain in popularity?
>
> No.  I'm not against it, but I'm not for it either.  So long as Linux
> is there for me and can do what I want it to, I couldn't care less
> what the rest of the world uses.  (I care very much about protocols,
> data file formats, etc., as those need to be standardized for the
> sake of interoperability, but what OS someone else uses to speak
> those protocols or create those files is of no interest to me.)

I too care about protocols and file formats (although I may not be as well
informed as you).  But would you say that Microsoft has a good history of
following these protocols and formats?  Or does an OS like Linux or Mac do a
better job?  Would it be in our interest then to see Linux become a popular
OS?

> > automatically configuring samba networking and including a Network
> > Neighborhood.  Home users may likely have a Windows PC and sharing files
> > has never been easier.  You won't find any reference to samba in
> > Lycoris...it's working behind the scenes.
>
> *sigh*  And just when Red Hat had figured out that turning every
> service under the sun on by default is _not_ a good idea...
>
> Would it really kill the average home user to have a 'Yes, I want to
> share files with Windows machines' checkbox and only turn on samba
> for those who are going to use it instead of just assuming that
> everyone wants it?

Although the automatic networking feature is nice...I would agree an on/off
switch is needed.