On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 02:24:37PM -0600, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I am trying to get Sendmail and Pop3 to work on the same server.I have
> started ipop3d, which says it is ready for connections, but I am getting the
> following error:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'support.lctn.k12.mn.us',
> Server: 'support.lctn.k12.mn.us', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
> No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I presume this error is from the client...

> Is there something else I need to do to get pop3 to work? I can telnet to
> port 25, but not to 110. I am new to Linux, so it is very likely I have
> missed something elementary.

So, you have two machines: L and W. L runs sendmail and pop3d and W
fetches the mail from L using POP3, right?

On the server do a ps aux and check that pop3d is running. If it's not
running, chech /etc/inetd.conf for a line starting with pop. The last
thing on that line is the server name. Do a ls -l with that name and
check that it refers to the right executable.

Another thing to check is /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny for
tcpwrappers rules that might block the access. Can you telnet on port
110 from the server itself?

Look for hints in /var/log/auth* /var/log/secure* /var/log/messages*
/var/log/mail*. If desperate,
   cd /var/log
   grep -i POP *
   zcat *.gz | grep -i POP

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4