> I've seen cheap FC drives floating around, but I suspect
> there must be a hidden cost somewhere..  Don't most of those
> drives use SCA backplanes?
> That can't be cheap.

There's a company that makes SCA connectors that convert to a standard
ethernet cable.  You can get a whole fiberchannel setup running over
standard ethernet cable at 1Gb/sec.  I forgot the name of the company though
and I'm too lazy to look for their site right now.

Your best bet is to get a good IDE raid card, there are some nice 4 channel
cards out there for fairly cheap.  ATA 133 drives are cheap, and raided
together can actually outperform ultra160 scsi (just look at the new Apple
Xserve boxes).  A friend of mine has a 4 channel card with 8 120GB ATA133
drives on it, and it works sweet.  If you don't have enough room in your
current machine, you could get a cheap MB and a big case and just set it up
as a fileserver (using Samba, WebDAV, or NFS).  If you *need* Gigabit speeds
to it, Gigabit ethernet cards are only around $40 each, and you can connect
your workstation directly to the fileserver using a crossover cable to avoid
having to buy a switch with GigE on it.

Jay