I'm trying to set up a terminal on one box to act like it's on
another one.  Thanks to a post by Callum in December 1999, I've
gotten as far as:

#!/bin/bash
trap "" 2
while /bin/true ; do
  /usr/bin/clear
  /bin/echo "Press Ctrl-D to connect to remote"
  /bin/cat
  /usr/bin/telnet remote
done

The bit with /bin/cat and ^D is a kludge to get around telnet[1]
timing out since I can't recall the command to tell bash to wait for
any old keypress (and can't find it in man).  Refreshing my memory on
that would be appreciated, but it's not a big thing.

The real problem is that this runs the telnet session on the terminal
that starts the script and I need it to run on a serial terminal.
Callum's post mentioned /usr/bin/open, which looks like just the
thing if I wanted it on a VT, but doesn't look like it will work for
/dev/ttyS0 (or whatever).  And I'd really prefer to avoid having to
edit /etc/inittab every time a serial terminal is added, removed, or
changed to a different port.

So, anyone know how to do that?

[1]  Yes, I know telnet is evil - I'm usually one of the first to
tell other people why.  However, telnet gives you a login prompt when
it connects, ssh doesn't, and I don't know in advance what user to
connect as.  There are ways around that (have bash collect the
username, then pass it to ssh; possibly a '-l prompt'-type option for
ssh), but I need to get it working first before I worry about it
working properly.  Plus it's running on a box that's never even heard
of ssh.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss